login.php?sid=bc0a7ecc65bdc62c70ec3db8502093d4 profile.php?mode=register&sid=bc0a7ecc65bdc62c70ec3db8502093d4 faq.php?sid=bc0a7ecc65bdc62c70ec3db8502093d4 memberlist.php?sid=bc0a7ecc65bdc62c70ec3db8502093d4 search.php?sid=bc0a7ecc65bdc62c70ec3db8502093d4 index.php?sid=bc0a7ecc65bdc62c70ec3db8502093d4

malasay.com Forum Index » History » Kulub Movement
  View previous topic :: View next topic 
Kulub Movement
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:47 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

How did it start? And why did it fail?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:12 am Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

I'm sure there are those of you who have a lot of knowledge about this issue. Please share it so we can know our history and pass it on to the next generation.

As for me, both my grandparents were jailed. Baba Abdurahman Bahar shaikh, and baba Durri Abubakar served time when those hararis who participated in this movement were jailed.

In the jail where Hajj Abdurahman bahar shaikh was staying in they were deprived of meal and water, except for enjera and salty water, which was served to them very sparingly just to keep them alive.

One time a pigeon flew into the prison cell. Within few seconds the pigeon was no more. The starving Harari prisoners tore the pigeon to pieces and ate it all. Some of those who were unfortunate only got a feather of the pigeon... and they sucked the blood out of it.

Also, at the same prison one of the Harari prisoner was dying from thirst, and the rest wanted to save him so they collected their urine and saliva and kept him alive. (I modified this portion after the interview with Hajj Ahmed Khalil)

I don't know what happened to Hajj Durri in his prison cell. He never did talk about it, nor did i ask him about it. But when he was in jail Haile Selasi's soliders did take over half of his house and they use to live there. Not allowing any member of the family to go from one side of the house to the other. There was a kitten that was locked up in one of the rooms, in the side of the house where the family was forbidden from going. The kitten meowed and cried until she died of hunger. So i was told by my grandmother Fatuma Barkhadley, whom we affectionately call uma Kud...

This is just one aspect... and there was more that happened, which I will write about in the future, insha'Allah.

Do you have a kulub story u can share?

Last edited by malasay on Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:26 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

While in DC for the July event, I was fortunate to interview Hajj Ahmed Khalil on July 4th, 2005. He was one of the prisoners during the Kulub movement. You can watch a portion of the interview by clicking at the link below.

http://malasay.com/kulub/akhalil.mov

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:29 pm Reply with quote
ahaa
Site Admin

Thank you very much mohammed for your effort and produce this woderful ducmentry. it is really touching makes me cry. thanks again. Alla umri barakw ystekhu haytkhobe isalkhu yi tarikhu zawagkhnle. khieri jaza zalakhube huluf ilumekh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:58 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

ahaa wrote:
Thank you very much mohammed for your effort and produce this woderful ducmentry. it is really touching makes me cry. thanks again. Alla umri barakw ystekhu haytkhobe isalkhu yi tarikhu zawagkhnle. khieri jaza zalakhube huluf ilumekh

You are most welcome brother. I believe it is our duty to know our history, and to pass it along to the next generation.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:19 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

Eagle wrote:
I want to thank you on behalf of my father who appreciated so much, the fact that you put the interview on your site for everyone to benefit and learn the facts about our History. I also want you to know that we Hararis appreciate your determination, hard work and courage and Inshallah wait to see more and more of your work.
Please do not be discouraged by fools like guests who come here unidentified because obviously they have nothing going for them, and have done nothing for the community but whine and create problems. Please Never let them get to you.
Thank you and may you be blessed and always have the strength you need to continue your work.

One Love.

Ameen to your duas, and thank you for your kind words. Insha'Allah, I will continue to work for the cause of Harar until my last breath. Rest assured that I will not be discouraged or distracted by those who throw unsubstantiated accusations. I know myself and my intention, which is to serve Harar and the Harari people. That knowlege is sufficient for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:10 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

As part of my effort to document the history of Kulub Movement ... I am looking for names and pictures of all the Harari prisoners that were arrested at that time. We know that there were more than 400 Hararis that were arrested. Most were freed after short duration in prison. However, about 81 were sent to 3 different locations outside of Harar and were arrested for a longer period.

It is very important that we preserve this aspect of our history because time is a formidable foe. Therefore, if you have any info where your grandparents or parents were arrested, and more importantly if you have any pictures ... please email it to me at malasay@malasay.com with their full name, and they will be included in the video documentary. Even if you don't have a picture... their full name will be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:53 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

Twelve Harari delegates were sent to appeal the Harari cause for liberation from the yoke of oppression. Six of the delegates were from the Kulub Movement, and 6 were from Wataniya. I got their names from Col. Abdusalam Faqih, and they are as follows:

Jamiya Wataniya
Ustad Mohammed Yusuf Ismael
Hajj Abubaker Faqih
Hajj Umar Widato
Hajj Ibrahim Gato
Al Sayed Mohammed Abdurahman
Shaikh Yonis Adus Abogne

Kulub
Hajj Ibrahim Abdusalam
Hajj Mohammed Adus
Al Sayed Mohammed Ahmed Yusuf
Al Sayed Yonis Mohammed Yusuf
Al Sayed Yonis Addish
Al Sayid Yusuf Shano

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:58 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

There were 27 Hararis that were placed in imprisonment in Gojam for almost two years. This list was given to me by Ustad Ahmed Khalil from his memory when I interviewed him on July 4th, 2005. There are 22 in the list, five names are missing. Their names are as follows:

Gojam Prisoners
Ustad Ahmed Khalil Faqih
Hajj Abdurahman Bahar Shaikh
Hajj Abdi Wazir (became shaheed in prison)
Shaikh Umar Adus
Yusuf Abdi Faqih
Aw Hajj Mohammed Abubeker Kenawaq
Shaikh Umar Adus
Hajj Ali Ziqaih
Hajj Abdella Yonis
Aw Mumai Adus
Aw Abdullahi Sherif
Aba Yusuf Wasir (?)
Aw Umar Abdulatif
Hajj Abubaker Ahmed
Hajj Mohammed Abdulghani
Abdumalik Abdullahi Salih
Abdurahman Sherif
Mohammed Abdullahi Abubeker
Mumai Yasin
Hajj Ismael Abogne
Kabir Mumai Kumash
Hajj Ali Waber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:00 am Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

The first Shaheed of the Kulub Movement. He was martyred due to torture, malnutrition, and other abuses.

Mohamed (Mume) Abdullahi Omer Faqi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:46 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

I found list of names of Hararis that were in prison in Gojam, Jima and Gorai on a magazine published by the Harari Regional State. There are six missing. The list in the magazine are as follows:

1. Hajj Ibrahim Ahmed Abulkhais
2. Hajj Ali Abdellah
3. Yusuf Abdi Faqi
4. Hajj Yusuf Kalaf
5. Hajj Abdullahi Ahmed
6. Mumai Adus Ibrahim
7. Hajj Abdurahman Bahar Shaikh
8. Hajj Muhammad Abubaker Kenewaq
9. Hajj Mohammed Abdul-qani
10. Kabir Ahmed Lazim
11. Abubaker Mohammed Adus
12. Hajj Ibrahim Adem Labees
13. Hajj Ali Abdurahman Waber
14. Hajj Abdullahi Mohammed Abdurahman
15. Hajj Abdullahi Bahar Sherif
16. Abdosh Ali Yahya
17. Yusuf Abdullahi Nasir
18. Hajj Abubaker Ahmed
19. Shash Ahmed Gidaya
20. Haji Mohammed Ahmed Adus
21. Abdullahi Sourour Mohammed
22. Hajj Umar Abdella Shadir
23. Idris Ahmed Mohammed
24. Umar Nurai
25. Hajj Shash Boker
26. Abubaker
27. Abdella Umar Ali
28. Hajj Ismail Ibrahim
29. Abdulhamid Ahmed Ziad
30. Hajj Ibrahim Ali
31. Abdosh Adus
32. Hajj Yonis Ahmed Adus
33. Hajj Abdi Yonis
34. Abdullahi Abubaker Sherif
35. Abdullahi Ibrahim Khatib
36. Mohammed Yusuf Kabir
37. Hajj Basha Mohammed Alam
38. Hajj Mohammed Kumash
39. Mohammed Yusuf Wazir
40. Idris Abdi Bori
41. Hajj Abdosh Yusuf
42. Shaikh Umar Mohammed Adus
43. Hajj Abdullahi Salih
44. Yusuf Hajj Mohammed Yusuf
45. Hajj Badri Abubaker
46. Kabir Yusuf Yunis Shaikh
47. Hajj Mohammed Umar Din
48. Mohammed Umar Borai
49. Hajj Ahmed Yonis
50. Abubaker Yusuf Yonis
51. Hajj Ali Abdullahi
52. Abdurahman Sherif
53. Abdulwahid Sharif
54. Towfik Abubaker Fandi
55. Mohammed Adus Sheirf
56. Hajj Abas Abogn
57. Abdulwahab Mohammed
58. Shaikh Abdulrashid Hajj Ibrahim
59. Ali Hajj Yonis
60. Hajj Abdullahi Adem
61. Umar Ahmed
62. Yusuf Abdulkadir
63. Idris Ahmed Abogne
64. Idris Ibrahim Abdella
65. Hajj Ibrahim Suleyman
66. Mohammed Ahmed Dedarai
67. Hajj Abubaker Abogne
68. Umar Abdulatif
69. Abdumali Abdullahi
70. Ahmed Khalil
71. Mohammed Ahmed Kalo
72. Ahmed Yonis
73. Abdumalik Abduraman
74. Abdulkadir Ahmed
75. Hajj Abdella Yonis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Biraq UL Harar

Any history about the battle of ?Dahkata?, where Kulb members from JigJiga and Gursum (fugan beara) engaged in battle with Hilaeselase troops? I heard there was some skirmish in ?Wachale? too.

Biraq
Re: The battle of Dakata
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:15 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

Biraq UL Harar wrote:
Any history about the battle of ?Dahkata?, where Kulb members from JigJiga and Gursum (fugan beara) engaged in battle with Hilaeselase troops? I heard there was some skirmish in ?Wachale? too.

Biraq

I haven't heard about it. Maybe our brothers and sisters from Gursum can help us find this history.

However, in 1964 there was a movement by some of those who were imprisoned during the kulub movement to join a military organization known as "Hizbullah" that was formed in Ogaden by a Somali Shaikh that was teaching in Harar. However, word leaked out and those who were responsible for this activity, as well as those who joined ~ 19 Hararis in all ~ were arrested and sentenced by the military court of Haile Selasi to various years of imprisonment in addition to public flogging in Faras Magala.

The flogging never took place due to a large demonstration held by the Harari public against the flogging. I interviewed one of the prisoners, the current chairman of the Addis branch of HNL. Insha?Allah it will be available to the public in due time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:32 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

Insha'Allah Malasay Productions will release Kulub Movement DVD in July 2006 - Toronto.

malasay.com Forum Index » History